Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2024 January 9

One More Year

 

“He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.” (Luke 13:6-9)

 

Today’s Morsel: If you knew that you only had maybe one more year to live, what would you do differently? Have you considered eternity lately? Knowing that tomorrow is not promised, what are you doing daily to ensure that you are ready? I sometimes hear folks at funerals speaking of the deceased, “Oh, they were so young.”  Or “I can’t believe that he or she died.” I do understand the comforting statement, but tomorrow is not promised to any of us. Jesus’ simply said, Be ready. Jesus’ parable here should enlighten us to the importance of spiritual growth, bearing fruit, and soul winning. Jesus informs us with this parable that this was not the first time this man came seeking for fruit on this fig tree. It was the third time. He had been disappointed three times that this tree had produced nothing in three years. And so, he said, cut it down. You see, I believe, that if you have been born again for three years, there ought to be great spiritual growth and some spiritual fruit in your life. And you should have led somebody to Christ. But if after three years you have none of these things to showing in your life, maybe you should consider strongly what you are doing that these things are not happening. The great commission still applies to everyone or us.  Solomon states, “Those that be planted in the house of the LORD shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing; To shew that the LORD is upright: he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him.” (Psalms 92:13-15) None of us are promised tomorrow.  Be ready today.  

 

Sing: Aren’t you just a bit tired of fooling around, you try to laugh your way through this life, but you are not gaining ground. Why not try the Lord today, just ask Him in your heart to stay; and you’ll find that Jesus is the best thing that you’ve every found. 

Jesus got ahold of my life, and He won’t let me go. Jesus got into my heart, He got into my soul. I used to be oh so sad, but now I’m happen free and glad; because Jesus got ahold of my life, and he won’t let me go.

 

Thought For Today: Is it time for you to start doing a little digging and dunging?

No comments:

Post a Comment