Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2024 January 17

 Search Me, Oh God 

“Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalms 139:23-24)

 

Today’s Morsel: Scripture tells us that as a man thinketh in his heart so is he (Proverbs 23:7). Just what is in your heart. Just what is in your mind? Is it a sound mind or a confused mind? Is it a mind stayed on Jesus? Or a mind stayed on itself? Is it a mind working for God? Or a mind working for the devil? Is it a mind filled with good thoughts? Or a mind cluttered with trash? When is the last time you have asked God to search your heart? David found that his heart was not right after his relationship with Bathsheba. And so he prayed “Cleanse thou me from secret faults. Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me” (Psalms 19:12). Our actions are an indicator of what is inside of us.  Wrongdoing is an indicator of an unclean heart. David also prayed, “Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.” (Psalms 51:10). An unclean heart can be nasty, causing us to say and to do things that if it was not in such a state would not happen.  So, why do we need God to search our heart? Because He is the only one that knows what is inside of us. Jeremiah wrote, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.” (Jeremiah 17:9-10) If I become what I think, then I want God to search me daily to ensure nothing that can destroy me, to be certain that nothing has crept in unawares. 

 

Sing: Search me, O God, and know my heart today. Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray. See if there be some wicked way in me; cleanse me from every sin, and set me free.

 

Thought For Today: “Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.” (Psalms 19: 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment