Monday, September 5, 2022

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 5 September 2022

  Praying For Others

“I thank my God, making mention of thee always in my prayers, Hearing of thy love and faith, which thou hast toward the Lord Jesus, and toward all saints; That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus. For we have great joy and consolation in thy love, because the bowels of the saints are refreshed by thee, brother.” (Philemon 1:4-7)

 

Today’s Morsel: Paul was not only a great apostle, evangelist, teacher, and leader, but he was also a great man of prayer. Prayer was important to Paul, as well as to the other apostles. They had gleaned from Jesus the importance of prayer. I find it hard when people say that they are Christians and yet they do not pray. One cannot be an effective Christian witness and deliver an effective message of the gospel without prayer. We find that when Paul was called by the Lord to go into Macedonia, when they arrived, scripture says: And from thence to Philippi, which is the chief city of that part of Macedonia, and a colony: and we were in that city abiding certain days. And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither.(Acts 16:12-13) We should never just avoid prayer and times of gathering for prayer. It’s so vital to our survival.  Paul told Philemon that he was thankful to God for him, making mention of him always in his prayers. One of the couples that live down the street from me, whom I had only met once, were passing by my house a few days ago and when they saw me, they stopped to talk.  When I called them by their names, (they had told me the first time we met) they were surprised that I still knew their names. The lady asked me how did I remember their names? I told her because I pray for you daily. Do you pray for your neighbors? What about saints in your church and those whom you haven’t seen in a while? What about your government officials, and leaders of our nation? Wherefore I also, (Paul said) after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints, Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers; That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him”  (Ephesians 1:15-17) Let’s keep others before the throne of grace. Someone else may be doing the same for you.

 

Sing: Hear my cry, oh God, attend unto my prayer, from the ends of the earth will I cry unto You; And when my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I, so much higher than I.

 

Thought For Today: Prayer only works if you do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment