Monday, July 5, 2021

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 5 July 2021

 

Freedom

 

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.(John 8:31-36)

 

Today’s Morsel:  In 1775, people in New England began fighting the British for their independence.  On July 2, 1776, Congress secretly voted for independence from Great Britain. Two days later, on July 4, 1776, the final wording of the Declaration of Independence was approved, and the document was published.  Yesterday, July 4 was Independence Day.  No, freedom is not free.  It has cost many men and women their lives to obtain it.  That is why we should never think that it is a right.  Freedom is a gift given to others who sacrificed themselves so that we might have it.  Jesus said, “If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples; indeed, and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”  True liberty can only come from Jesus.  If we desire to be free and have freedom, then we must not just be hearers of His word, but we must be doers of His word.

 

Sing:  No more shackles, no more chains, no more bondage, I am free.  I am free to run (I am free to run), I am free to dance (I am free to dance), I am free to live for You (I am free to live for you), I am free.

 

Thought For Today: Give me liberty or give me death (Patrick Henry)

2 comments: