Saturday, December 30, 2023

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2023 December 30

At The Cross

 

“For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.” (1 Corinthians 1:17-18)

 

Today’s Morsel: Over 2,000 years ago, Jesus proclaimed, “And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. This he said, signifying what death he should die.” (John 12:32-33) We must never forget the cross. Not only must it be preached, but it must be carried by us daily. Paul said for some folks the preaching and talking about the cross is foolish. But for those of us who are saved it is the power of God. If it had not been for Calvary, none of us would be saved. But now as Jesus told Nicodemus, “And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.” (John 3:14-15) The cross still has the power to deliver and to save. As the serpent on the pole was a symbol for Israel of their salvation and deliverance if bitten by a serpent, Jesus on the cross serves the same purpose. Only Jesus is no long hanging there. He was buried and He rose again.

 

Sing: At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light, and the burden of my heart rolled away; it was there by faith I received by sight and now I am happy all the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment