Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2023 December 27

The Sunshine In The Shadow

 

“O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar. Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me. Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.” (Psalms 42:6-8)

 

Today’s Morsel: Living for Jesus isn’t always going to be a bed of roses. Some days you are going to have to walk through the valley of the shadows of death. Sometimes, you are going to have to face some hardships, and some pain. Plus, you are going to have to deal with storms and rain. If you live in the north, you are going to have to deal with the snow. As we used to say in the army, “It doesn’t rain in the army, it rains on the army.” David probably felt as though living for God wasn’t worth being hunted and chased across a battlefield. And besides, he didn’t ask to be king, he was chosen by God to be king. But I believe that David understood that greatness is birthed out of fear, determination, and commitment. David had learned that the art of war required stamina and loyalty. In Psalms 42, David found himself questioning himself about his trust and commitment to God. You see, when you are battle fatigued, you start having crazy thoughts. But David focusses his thought back on God and he was able to overcome those feelings of hurt, confusion, and loneliness. Let me encourage you. The higher you are willing to go in your praise when you are feeling despondent, the more you will be able to see that the sun is still shining in your darkest hour.  Jesus is always with you, even in the darkest storm.

 

Sing: When my life is burdened with sorrow, and it seems all help is gone, Jesus whispers, “Do not falter; I will leave thee not alone.” Then somehow, amidst my trials, how it is I cannot see; still, I hear a voice from heaven, gently saying “Follow Me.”

 

There is sunshine in the shadow; there is sunshine in the rain; there is sunshine in our sorrow, when our hearts are filled with pain; There is sunshine when we’re burdened; there is sunshine when we pray; there is sunshine, Heavenly sunshine, blessed sunshine all the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment