Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2023 December 13

The Lord Is My Shepherd

 

“A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.” (Psalms 23:1-6)

 

Today’s Morsel: You know, I keep trying to figure out how Psalm 23 became a funeral song. David doesn’t say anything about dying, he says in the valley of the shadow of death he’s not going to fear any evil that may happen while he is in that place or that position, because he can see the shepherd’s rod and staff and it brings him comfort and assurance. In other words, he knows that he is safe and protected. Psalms 23 is a Psalm of comfort and confidence for us because Jesus is the Good Shepherd and we are the people of His pasture, and the sheep of His hand.  Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep...I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.” (John 10:11,14-15) Don’t worry about what may look like and seem like danger, no matter where you might find yourself, there’s and all-seeing eye watching you.  And that is Jesus.  

 

Sing: What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear, what a privilege to carry, everything to God in prayer. Oh, what peace we often forfeit, oh, what needless pain we bear. All because we do not carry, everything to God in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment