Saturday, September 4, 2021

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 4 September 2021

 Dialoguing With God

 

“And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.” (Matthew 6:5-13)

 

Today’s Morsel:  Prayer must be a joy button for those who are born again.  But what I am finding is that most people do not know how to pray.  Jesus said, “But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.(Matthew 6:7)  We don’t need to walk around shouting our prayers, nor do we need to amplify what we are praying about.  Our heavenly Father already knows what we need before we ask Him.  Being able to dialogue with Christ, one on one, should make us feel excited and happy.  When we can sit and have a good conversation with Him where it is not one-sided with one person doing all the talking, but each has time to give input, we will usually go away feeling good about the time that we have spent together with Him.  In a conversation, if one person is doing all the talking and the other is not listening, or if a person is not given a chance to input some thoughts and ideas, they usually leave worn.  The same is true with prayer.  If we do all the talking, and we do not spend time listening to God, we will leave still feeling worn and weary.  I do not believe that we need to display demonstrative actions toward God to get our prayers across.  He is already aware of what I need.  I want to hear His wisdom and directions for the things that I ought to do, how I ought to do them, and allow Him to alert me to the things that are going on or coming down the pipeline against the church.  And that just might require me to let Him give some input into our dialogue, rather than me doing all the talking.  Take some time in your prayer time to listen to the still small voice of God.  I guarantee you that you will be glad you did.

 

Sing:  Jesus, hold my hand, Lord, I need Thee every hour.  Through this pilgrim land, protect me by Thy saving power.  Hear my feeble plea, O’ Lord look down on me, when I kneel in prayer, I know I’ll meet You there, blessed Jesus hold my hand.

 

Thought For Today: “Prayer is not monologue, but dialogue. God’s voice in response to mine is its most essential part.” Andrew Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment