Monday, March 13, 2023

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2023 March 13

Membership Is for Me

“Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.” (Ephesians 4:25)

Today’s Morsel: I’m sure most of you like me are aware that to be a member of certain groups and organizations you will have to believe and do certain things.  They may not be a secret society as some are, but their members are identified by tattoos, rings, pins, buttons, flags, and handshakes. Even though I am thankful to be a member of many organizations, such as the Occupations Chaplains of America, the US Army Sergeants Major Academy, and the US Army’s Sergeant Morales Club, none of them compares to holding a membership in the church. Membership in the church of Jesus Christ is important. Even though we have many members, Paul said, there is but one body. Membership means that you maintain affiliation, relationships, and association.  You just don’t want to have any Tom, Dick, or Harry, making rules, setting policy and procedures, and leading others.  You don’t want someone leading who is not born again and does not believe the apostolic message. Paul even stresses the rules for membership in the church: “Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty. Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1; “Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.”  I don’t know about you, but when it comes to the church, I want men ruling over me who are just, ruling in the fear of God; and those who believe the same apostolic message that Jesus and His disciples taught. Friend, that type of membership is for me.

Sing: I’m so glad that I’m a part of the family of God; I’ve been washed in the fountain, cleansed by His blood. Joint heirs with Jesus, as we travel this sod.  I’m so that I’m a part of the family of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment