Monday, February 13, 2023

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2023 Feb 13

 Scammers

“And Jacob said unto his father, I am Esau thy firstborn; I have done according as thou badest me: arise, I pray thee, sit and eat of my venison, that thy soul may bless me. And Isaac said unto his son, How is it that thou hast found it so quickly, my son? And he said, Because the LORD thy God brought it to me. And Isaac said unto Jacob, Come near, I pray thee, that I may feel thee, my son, whether thou be my very son Esau or not.” (Genesis 27:19-21)

Today’s Morsel: A few weeks ago, I received a scam call saying to me, “Grandpa, help! I’ve been arrested and need money for bail right away!’ I laughed under my breath and thought scam call! I asked him which one of my grandsons was he? He said, I’m your grandson and I need your help. So, I played along with him for a while, and then I said, I’m sorry but I don’t have any grandsons (even though I have 6) just to let him know that I knew that he was a scammer. He became very angry and shouting and swearing on the phone at me, at which point I knew for sure he wasn’t one of my grandsons!  Scamming isn’t anything new. We see this with Jacob stealing his brother Esau’s birthright. He deceived his father, with his mother’s help, into think that he was his brother Esau.  Peter says that we must: “Be sober, be vigilant; because our adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in our brethren that are in the world.” (1 Peter 5:8-9) Scammers are of the devil. They are as their father Satan. Liars, cheaters, and deceivers. There are those who are even in the pulpits that are scammers. They confess to know Christ, His truth, and His ways, but Jesus said that we should, “Beware of false prophets, which come to us in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. He said that we shall know them by their fruits. He said, "Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.” (Matthew 7:15-20) If you know the fruit of the Spirit and how it relates to Christ and the life of a true believer, you can identify a scammer every time.  Better be wise in times of scams.  

Sing: It’s real, it’s real, I know it’s real, this apostolic message I know, I know it’s real. It’s real, it’s real, I know it’s real, being baptized in Jesus’ name, I know, I know it’s real. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment