Monday, February 20, 2023

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2023 Feb 20

 The Sacrifices of God

“For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.” (Psalms 51:16-17)

Today’s Morsel: When we speak of sacrifices, we are oftentimes speaking of things offered.  Such as surrendering a possession as an offering to God. During Old Testament times, sacrifices were often some sort of animal that was required by the law. But David realized that with the sin that he had committed, there was no animal sacrifice to be given to God that would satisfy his wrong. He stated that God did not desire sacrifice else he would give it. Nor did God want burn offerings. He said that the sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart is what God desires. God wants us to do what is right, love mercy, and keep ourselves humble. David knew that his sin was great and that nothing but sincere, godly repentance would fit the bill.  When Nathan revealed to David his sin with Bathsheba, he was broken. David knew that God had been good to him. And to now commit such a heinous crime, he knew he should die himself.  David knew that he must change if he was to be forgiven and accepted by God for his wrong. And so, he prayed: “Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.” (Psalms 51:1-4) And God forgave him of his sin. Maybe you have been carrying around sin in your life, something that you feel God will not forgive you for. Let me encourage you, humble yourself and come boldly to the throne of grace that you may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. He will forgive you.  

Sing: Thank you, Jesus, for the blood applied. Thank you, Jesus, it has washed me white. Thank You Jesus, You have saved my life; brought me out of darkness into glorious light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment