Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 9 March 2021

 

My Jesus I Love Thee

 

“Jesus then cometh, and taketh bread, and giveth them, and fish likewise. This is now the third time that Jesus shewed himself to his disciples, after that he was risen from the dead. So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.” (John 21:13-17)

 

Today’s Morsel:  If someone were to ask you how much you love Jesus, what would be your reply?  If we say that Jesus is in our hearts, how much do we value His presence within us? Someone said that love is not spelled L-O-V-E but T-I-M-E.   If I do not take every opportunity to show how much I love Him, how great is my love for Him?  The book of the Songs of Solomon is a portrait of love.  How do you feel about Jesus after you have read this book?  Jesus asked Peter three times if he loved Him?  I often wonder why three times and not just one.  Was it because Peter had denied him three times after he had told Him that he would die for Him?  Did Jesus see something in Peter's heart which he (Peter) did not see himself, and which might lead him to fall again when tempted? Or maybe Jesus wanted him to know that true love for Him and the gospel would cost Him his life, and He (Christ) wanted to know if Peter would be willing and committed to the task.  Here is what Jesus demands of us if we say that we love Him. “If ye love me, keep my commandments.” (John 14:15)  The most solid proof you can give of your attachment to and affection for Christ is to keep His commandments.  And this I shall receive as your greater proof of your affection for Him than your tears.  

 

Sing:  My Jesus, I love Thee, I know Thou art mine.  For Thee all the follies of sin I resign.  My gracious Redeemer, my Savior art Thou.  If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, tis now.

 

Thought For Today: “Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.” (Romans 12:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment