Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 5 February 2020


The Comforter in Afflictions

Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope. This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.(Psalms 119:49-50)

Today’s Morsel:  There seems to be a large amount of affliction going on in the world and the church today. Sickness, problems, diseases, hardships, sufferings.  David had his afflictions, and so has everyone else.  If you haven’t, stick around for a while because no one seems to be without them.  Even Job stated, “For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me. I was not in safety, neither had I rest, neither was I quiet; yet trouble came.(Job 3:25-26)  David wrote that many are the afflictions of the righteous (Psalms 34:19); and his son Solomon states that if we faint in the day of adversity our strength is small.  Yet the apostle Paul said that they are only for a moment and they are working for our good (2 Corinthians 4:17.  Therefore, it seems that the will and pleasure of God is that so it should be.  The Psalmist also informs us that God’s word is our comfort when we are afflicted.  The word of God is our comfort under these types of afflictions. The word, whether heard or read; and especially a word of promise; no matter if our afflictions are inward and outward, is powerful when applied to our lives.  It puts us underneath His everlasting arm and we can endure and overcome.  “For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.” Paul said (Romans 15:4)

Sing:  What a fellowship, what a joy divine, leaning on the everlasting arms.  What a blessedness, what a peace is mine, leaning on the everlasting arms.
Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms.  Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

Thought For Today: Who makes your bed when you are sick? (Parker) 

No comments:

Post a Comment