Monday, July 15, 2013

2013 July 15 - Morning Manna

"And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint; Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man: And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary. And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man; Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me. And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith. And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?"Luke 18:1-8)
 
Today's Morsel: Do you ever get to a point that you wonder why pray? I'm sure that there are many who do. Especially when they feel that the wicked are getting the upper hand or they feel that God isn't answering them in a timely matter. What I find is that those who feel this way are usually focusing on themselves and their needs and not the needs of others. I find in scripture that Jesus prayed for himself once and that was in the garden before his crucifixion. He prayed, "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me. But He concluded, nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Jesus had a consistent prayer life, but it was prayers for others. Even Paul told Timothy to pray for others ( 1 Timothy 2:1-5). Jesus said that if we will pray, we too will not quit and lose heart. In today's passage, Jesus impresses upon us two important things about prayer. Faith and consistency. The Berlin Wall came down because people were consistent. When people really want something, if they are consistent long enough, they will get people to hear them. Faith causes us to believe that Jesus will answer. And consistency says, "I won't give up until I am heard." If we aren't consistent in our prayer life, we will not maintain the faith and we will miss Jesus when He comes again.
Sing: Hear my cry, oh God, attend unto my prayer, from the ends of the earth will I cry unto thee, and when my hear is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I, so much higher than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment