Wednesday, July 10, 2013

2013 July 10 - Morning Manna

Jesus then cometh, and taketh bread, and giveth them, and fish likewise. This is now the third time that Jesus shewed himself to his disciples, after that he was risen from the dead. So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
(John 21:13-17)
Today's Morsel: I can remember when my wife and I were dating, she would ask me, "Why do you love me? or, "Do you love me?" A lot of times, she would ask me when my mind would not be on me thinking about how much I loved her. And so I would have to scramble in my thoughts, as I was thinking about others things to ensure I told her just how much I did love her.
One of the things about serving Jesus, is if you tell Him you love Him, He is going to check you to see if you really do. Having a love relationship with Jesus is the same as being married to Him. There are things you do for someone you love that you won't do for others. When Jesus asked Peter if he loved Him more than these (I think the fishes or his career), Peter's reply was 'Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee.' But I don't think Peter was expecting Jesus to ask him the same question three times and respond with the same request to feed His people. What Jesus was saying to Peter, and it is for us today, is that if you love Me, show Me that you care. When it comes right down to it, the love you have for someone else is really predicated on two other things, faith and hope. If I can't trust in you and depend on you, then I really can't have a deep love relationship with you. I know I can trust and depend on Jesus; His question to me is, "Do you love me?"
Sing: He knew me, and yet He loved me, He whose glory makes, the heavens shine. I'm so unworthy, of such mercy, yet when he was on the cross, I was on His mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment