Saturday, June 22, 2024

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2024 June 22

The Fear of The Lord

 

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” (Proverbs 1:7)

 

Today’s Morsel: In olden times, and even in some churches today, God was made out to be the bad guy. If you don’t do this or that, God is going to zap you. He will make your life a living hell. That’s not the God I serve. My Bible says that God is love; The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. Even Jesus himself said, “The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.” (John 10:10). God gives us choices in life. His word is there for us to make the right choices so that we can live and have a good and productive life. Yet He’s not going to force you to do it. If you choose not to live according to His word, you are the one that must bear the consequences of your actions. The fear of the Lord just means that we should always give God our undivided attention, and that we should do everything in our power to obey and please Him with reverence. Especially since He is the one that gives us life, and the one that gives us strength to get health and wealth. The Psalmist states some of the reason why we should fear God. He said: “Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's. The LORD executeth righteousness and judgment for all that are oppressed. He made known his ways unto Moses, his acts unto the children of Israel. The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever. He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.” (Psalms 103:1-11) Let me encourage you today. Stop serving God out of fear and learn how to reverence Him. He only has your best interest at heart.

 

Sing: Lord, I give You my heart, I give You my soul, I live for You alone. Every breathe that I take, every moment I’m awake, Lord, have Your way in Me.

 

Thought For Today“Thou shalt rise up before the hoary head, and honour the face of the old man, and fear thy God: I am the LORD.” (Leviticus 19:32)

No comments:

Post a Comment