Thursday, June 27, 2024

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2024 June 27

Do You Understand the Ways of Life?

 

“For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:” (Proverbs 6:23)

 

Today’s Morsel: When I was a young boy, I can remember the elders saying, “You don’t get old being no fool.” One of the things that I am thankful for was that as a young boy I was able to sit around the barbershop and listen to the elders talk about life and how to navigate through life. Many of them had served in World War II and the Korean War. Listening to war stories was always a highlight. These were hard working men who had experienced life in many ways and faced many challenges. Many of them had experienced segregation, racism, unfairness in employment, and getting loans to purchase farms, and trying to better themselves and their families. But they each believed that a better day was coming, and that God would see them through wrong.  I got to hear how a better education would carry you far. That hard work must be the hallmark of every man. That a man’s word must always be his bond. That you never have to prove to others that you are always right, when you know in your heart that you are right. That women must always be treated with respect and given your seat if there were none other available. They taught me that life is like a baseball game, sometimes you are going to get on base, other times you are going to get out. And to always remember, that in baseball you never move the plate so that the pitcher can throw strikes. You change the pitcher. Solomon said, For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life. I learned that God’s Word will show us the ways and how to face our challenges and navigate through life. But if we don’t read, study, and listen to it, we are as James said, “For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.” (James 1:23-24) Why walk in the darkness when you can walk in the light and know where you are going in life?

 

Sing: Jesus got ahold of my life, and He won’t let me go. Jesus got into my heart He got into my soul. I used to be oh so sad, but now I’m happy free and glad; because Jesus got ahold of my life, and He won’t let me go. 

 

Aren’t you getting just a bit tired of fooling around? You try to laugh your way through this life, but you’re not gaining ground. Why not try the Lord to today, just ask Him in your heart to stay; and you’ll find Jesus love to be the best thing that you ever found.  

 

Thought For Today: “If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.” (1 Corinthians 15:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment