Monday, February 19, 2024

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2024 February 19

Habits

 

“There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil. And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters. His substance also was seven thousand sheep, and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred she asses, and a very great household; so that this man was the greatest of all the men of the east. And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them. And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually.” (Job 1:1-5)

 

Today’s Morsel: When I first became born-again, my pastor would stand in the pulpit, look straight at me, hold up his Bible and say, “Brother Rufus, you must love this more than anything else in the world. And he did that every service. I never heard him say it to anyone else. And so, I took him at his word and started doing what he said. And now, I have people asking me how do I memorize so many scriptures? I am in no way proud or boastful of this ability that God has given me. I am just grateful that someone inspired me to love the Word of God, and that God has given me the ability to memorize His word. Memorization and the study of God’s word has become a habit for many years for me. There is just so much that flows from the pages of the Bible. As Christians there are certain things that ought to become a habit in our lives. Things such as prayer, reading and studying the Bible, going to church, giving, and witnessing, these things ought to top the list. The Bible says of Job, that when Job’s children went about their feasting, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, it may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually. Notice it became a habit of his. The Lord told Joshua to make reading and studying the word a habit in his life and that he would be strong and have great success. And Paul told Timothy, “Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery. Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.” (1 Timothy 4:13-16) When you make something a habit, it oftentimes means that you love it. Remember the acronym for bread.  Bible Reading Enriches Any Day.

 

Sing: He’s the great I Am, the everlasting Father, He’s the Prince of Peace, the great eternal Wonder, Holy Counselor and Zion righteous Govern; He’s the great, He’s the great I Am.

 

Thought For Today: Bible Reading Enriches Any Day

No comments:

Post a Comment