Friday, February 9, 2024

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2024 February 9

Sacrificial Love

 

“I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20)

 

Today’s Morsel: In the church, we hear a lot of preaching and teaching about sacrificial giving, sacrificial offerings, and sacrificial praise, but we never hear about sacrificial love.  Maybe the reason we don’t hear a lot about it is because folks don’t know what it is. Sacrificial love falls in the category with compassion. It’s selfless actions that put the needs of others before our own. It’s having pure motives to alleviate the suffering of others. Scriptures tell us that Jesus was always moved with compassion. Paul said that God demonstrated His love towards us, in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us (Romans 3:8). When Paul wrote to the Romans in Romans 12:1, he said: “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.”  A living sacrifice means that we must always be ready to be offered. The same way that we ought to be ready to sacrifice our time, talents, and abilities, we ought to be ready to sacrifice our love. Because God is love, and He is in us, then we ought to be willing to share some of it with and towards others. The same way that God showed His love toward us, we ought to be willing to show others ours. 

 

Sing: I love to tell the story, twill be my theme in glory, to tell the old, old story of Jesus and His love.

 

Thought For Today: True love gives of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment