Monday, August 8, 2011

2011 August 8 - Morning Manna

I love the LORD, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications. Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live. The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow. Then called I upon the name of the LORD; O LORD, I beseech thee, deliver my soul. (Psalms 116:1-4)

Today's Morsel:  Have you ever seen the Norman Rockwell portrait  of the dog clinched to the backside of a little boy.  He portrays the dog has having a pretty firm grip on this kid, doesn't he?  Have you gotten super glue or krazy glue between your fingers?  That stuff really sticks to your skin, if you aren't careful. It's grips pretty good.
 
The psalmist said that sorrows of death compassed him and the pains of hell got hold of him.  Do you ever feel like hell has a strong hold on you? The man in the tombs did.  The woman whose daughter was grievous vexed did.  Job did.  And some of you reading this right now may feel as though he does too. When hell grasps hold of you, it seems that nothing is going right for you.  Pain, agony, sorrows, grief, and despondency are on every side.  The psalmist said that sorrow and death compassed him and all he found was more trouble.  It's almost like General Armstrong Custer.  Indians on every side.  When all you can find and see is trouble, what do you do?  The Lord said through  the prophet Isaiah, "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness" (Isaiah 41:10).  David said, "The LORD hear thee in the day of trouble; the name of the God of Jacob defend thee; Send thee help from the sanctuary, and strengthen thee out of Zion" (Psalms 20:1-2).  Solomon said, "The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe" (Proverbs 18:10).   Jesus said, "Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom" (Luke 12:32).  The psalmist said that he called upon the name of the Lord and asked Him to deliver his soul.  Any time the situation gets too tough for you to handle, the Lord says that we should, "Call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me" (Psalms 50:15).  If you feel the devil has a grip on you, call JESUS.

Sing: Hail! Hail! Lion of Judah! Lord I know how great you are. Lamb that sits upon the throne, Holy One that's who You are.  Hail! Hail! Lion of Judah! Great and Mighty God You are. I want to see Your Kingdom come, not my will but Thine be done. Hail! Hail! Lion of Judah! Lord I know how great you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment