Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2024 July 23

A Good Name

“A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.” (Proverbs 22:1)

Today’s Morsel: What is it about a certain name that when people hear it, in most cases they associate it with certain evils? While on the other hand, when they hear other names, they associate it with good and someone to emulate. Your name says a lot about who you are. Character is associated with your name. I was volunteering at an elementary school once, and here was a child in kindergarten that all the staff, teachers, and kids in the school knew who he was, because everyone had labeled him as being bad. A cut up. Out of control. And one no one wanted to be around this child.  And so one day as I was there, the teacher asked me to take him out of the classroom and talk with him. So I did. As I began to interact with this child, I realized that this was a very smart and intelligent kid. It was then that I realized that his actions were due in part to a lack of being challenged in the classroom. As he and I interacted, I was able to teach him how to do multiplications, and other lessons, and he even knew what he wanted to be when he grew up. A Police Officer. If we are willing to spend time with children and others, we may be able to change what others think of them and help them retain a good name. Solomon says that a good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favor rather than silver and gold. No matter how many riches you may obtain, how much status you may obtain in life, home or mansion you may live in, the car you may drive, and the people that you may come know, your good name must excel it all.  

Sing: His name is wonderful! His name is wonderful! His name is wonderful, Jesus my Lord. He is the Mighty King, Master of everything; His name is wonderful, Jesus my Lord. He’s the Great Shepherd, the Rock of All Ages, Almighty God is He. Bow down before Him, love and adore Him. His name is wonderful, Jesus my Lord.

Thought For Today: Remember your name reflects your character.

No comments:

Post a Comment