Saturday, February 2, 2013

2013 February 2 - Morning Manna

And when Rachel saw that she bare Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister; and said unto Jacob, Give me children, or else I die. (Genesis 30:1)
Today's Morsel: A curious story on this subject of envy has been formed by the moderns into a fable. There were two persons, one covetous and the other envious, to whom a certain person promised to grant whatever they should ask; but double to him who should ask last. The covetous man would not ask first, because he wished to get the double portion, and the envious man would not make the first request because he could not bear the thoughts of thus benefiting his neighbor. However, at last he requested that one of his eyes should be taken out, in order that his neighbor might lose both.
There have been so many people hurt by envy. Envy is that resentful or unhappy feeling of wanting somebody else's success, good fortune, qualities, or possessions. Solomon said, "Wrath is cruel, and anger is outrageous; but who is able to stand before envy?" (Proverbs 27:4). James tells us, "For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work" (James 3:16). He also asked the question, "Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?" (James 4:5). Envy causes hurt. Or causes you to become hurt or desire to hurt others. Rachel envied her sister Leah because Leah bare children and she didn't. This story reminds me of two famous skaters a few years back. One of them was so envious of the other's skating abilities that she went about to do her much harm and to prevent her from competing in the skating event. And now she is barred from skating. I wonder if Rachel had made fun at Leah because of her being tender eyed? Solomon said, "The horseleach hath two daughters, crying, Give, give. There are three things that are never satisfied, yea, four things say not, It is enough: The grave; and the barren womb; the earth that is not filled with water; and the fire that saith not, It is enough" (Proverbs 30:15-16). He said that the barren womb is never going to be satisfied. And because of this bareness, some women may become envious of you if you are a woman with children (my wording). But Paul tells us, "Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" (1 Corinthians 13:4-5). So let me encourage you today, whatever it is that you desire of the Lord today, "Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD" (Psalms 27:14). "And God remembered Rachel, and God hearkened to her, and opened her womb. And she conceived, and bare a son; and said, God hath taken away my reproach: And she called his name Joseph; and said, The LORD shall add to me another son."(Genesis 30:22-24)
Sing: I am blessed! I am blessed! Every day that I live I am blessed. When I wake-up in the morning, till I lay my head to rest, I am blessed, I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment