Monday, July 6, 2020

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 6 July 2020


Long Life
My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee. Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart: So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.(Proverbs 3:1-4)

Today’s Morsel: As I sit and visit with the elderly that I meet, many of them tell me great stories and things about how their lives have been so blessed.  And then, on the other hand, I meet those who tell me about how terrible their lives have been.  Some tell me how good God has been to them, while others tell me how terrible life has been to them.  Some of them say, "Well I guess that God is punishing me for my wrong."  While others say, "I cannot wait to see what heaven will be like."  Same age group.  And so I ask myself what is the difference? Solomon admonishes us, “Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Though a sinner do evil an hundred times, and his days be prolonged, yet surely I know that it shall be well with them that fear God, which fear before him: But it shall not be well with the wicked, neither shall he prolong his days, which are as a shadow; because he feareth not before God.(Ecclesiastes 8:11-13)  He continues by informing us, “If a man beget an hundred children, and live many years, so that the days of his years be many, and his soul be not filled with good, and also that he have no burial; I say, that an untimely birth is better than he.”   (Ecclesiastes 6:3)  And Isaiah admonishes us, “Say ye to the righteous, that it shall be well with him: for they shall eat the fruit of their doings.(Isaiah 3:10)  You can live long and have a blessed and prosperous life because it is promised to you.  But on the other hand, if your life is not filled with goodness and righteousness, there will be anguish and unpleasant days ahead.  The Psalmist admonishes us, “Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD. What man is he that desireth life, and loveth many days, that he may see good? Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile. Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.(Psalms 34:11-14)  So I guess the quality of my life lies in what I pursue.

Sing:  I have decided to follow Jesus.  I have decided to follow Jesus.  I have decided to follow Jesus, no turning back, no turning back.

Thought For Today:  Seek peace and pursue it.

No comments:

Post a Comment