Friday, September 11, 2015

2015 September 11 - Morning Manna

For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel! For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me. What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel. For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. (1 Corinthians 9:16-22)

Today's Morsel:  Probably some of the most misunderstood scriptures by some, are those of the apostle Paul's teachings.  Even Peter tells us that if you aren't rooted and grounded in truth and Christ you can misunderstand Paul's writings to your own destruction.  "And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction" (2 Peter 3:15-16).  While reading 1 Corinthians 9:16-22, some folks misunderstand Paul's writing and think that one should not live their convictions or the doctrine of Christ to win the lost.  This is a great misunderstanding of Paul's teachings.  No woman in her right mind is going to become a harlot to win harlots.  Or become an adulterous woman to win an adulterous woman.   And no man in his right mind is going to become an alcoholic or drug dealer to try and win a man who is an alcoholic or a drug dealer.  Becoming all things to all men does not mean becoming like them.  When Paul says that he is became all things to all men that he might win some, he was referring to not elevating himself above other people based on their status, race, national origin, or condition in life, but keeping himself in a place of humility.  We must keep ourselves humble and not think more of ourselves than we ought.  There were many Jews that held fast to the law because they didn't know that Jesus came to fulfill the law.  But Paul knew the law, and he knew that it was fulfilled in Christ.  And so to win Jews that were under the law, he would not use words of discouragement but rather those of humility in his teachings to win them to Christ.  The same way with the Gentiles and or those that were weak.  To the Gentiles, he did not make them feel as though they were less than the Jews (See Galatians 2:11-15; 3:26-29); nor those that were weak.  When you understand truth and live truth, you must also learn how to present that truth in love to everyone who may not know Christ as you do.  It doesn't mean that you have to take on that person's life style or become like that person to win them.  Rather it means that you allow the love of Christ to be seen in you.

Sing: Let me walk in the gospel light. Let me walk in the light, in the great gospel light, let me walk in the gospel light; till my journey is over, and I travel no more, let me walk in the gospel light.     

Thought for Today:  If light becomes darkness, how great is that darkness?

No comments:

Post a Comment