Saturday, July 18, 2015

2015 July 18 - Morning Manna

I went by the field of the slothful, and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding; And, lo, it was all grown over with thorns, and nettles had covered the face thereof, and the stone wall thereof was broken down. Then I saw, and considered it well: I looked upon it, and received instruction. Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth; and thy want as an armed man.
(Proverbs 24:30-34)

Today's Morsel: The Book of Proverbs, the book of wisdom for us, seems to shed light on so many things.  And one of those things is laziness.  Looking back over my life, I can see that the good hard work my parents made me endure really helped my work ethics.  I can remember working from sun up to sun down and at the end of the day having made only $5 for that full day's work.  We sometimes worked 10-12 hours a day for fifty cent an hour and it didn't kill us. There was no slothfulness around our house.  You didn't get to sleep in.  My dad always found something for us to do.  And today, all of my siblings have stuck with their jobs to  retirement.  Solomon said he went by the field of the slothful, and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding; And, lo, it was all grown over with thorns, and nettles had covered the face thereof, and the stone wall thereof was broken down. Then he saw, and considered it well: He looked upon it, and he received instruction. The instruction he received was that:  A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep will bring poverty as one that travelleth; and thy want as an armed man.  He would later write, "Slothfulness casteth into a deep sleep; and an idle soul shall suffer hunger" (Proverbs 19:15); "The slothful man saith, There is a lion without, I shall be slain in the streets" (Proverbs 22:13); "For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags" (Proverbs 23:21).  Even the apostle Paul tells us that if a man will not work neither shall he eat.  There is no room for slothfulness in the Kingdom of God.  God is looking for the good and faithful servant, that includes us working faithfully each day.

Sing: Jesus use me, Lord don't refuse me, surely there's a work that I can do.  And even though it's humble, Lord help my will to crumble.  Though the cost be great, I'll work for you.

Thought for Today: "Plough deep while sluggards sleep." Ben Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment