Tuesday, November 20, 2012

2012 November 20 - Morning Manna

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. (John 15:13-15)
Today's Morsel: Someone said that true friendship is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth (humor). What do you look for in a friend? How often do you think friends should correspond with each other? You know, I was thinking the other day who I would want to preach my funeral. And to my surprise I said to myself, I would want my best friend because they are the only one that would know me and how I lived my life. Why should I entrust that 15 minutes to someone that has no idea about who I really am. Jesus was a true friend to His disciples. He loved all of them to the end. He told them, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you." That's what true friendship looks like and that's what a true friend will do. The difference between friends and acquaintances is a friend knows all about you, an acquaintance is just aware of you. A true friend will come running when you call, while an acquaintance will wonder what's wrong. A true friend will call and check up on you, while an acquaintance will say how have you been when they see you. Someone wrote a song entitled, "I am a friend of God." I wonder if he's really God's friend? Are you a friend of God? More important, does He call you friend?
Sing: What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear! What a privilege to carry, everything to God in Prayer! O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear, all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment