Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 13 June 2023

Overcoming Loneliness

“As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God? My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God? When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday. Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance. O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar. Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me. Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life. I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God? Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.” (Psalms 42:1-11)

Today’s Morsel: Loneliness is an unpleasant emotional response to perceived isolation. Feeling lonely can create depression, fear, and even suicidal thoughts. With over 350 billion people in the world, you would not think that loneliness would be a problem or something that we would need to be concerned about. But reports show that many people, from the youngest to the oldest, suffer from loneliness. There are those who live in the same house that suffer from loneliness. There are those who have children and grandchildren and still suffer from loneliness. There are those who have great coworkers around them, and yet they still suffer from loneliness. Is it a mental health issue or is something else going on within? Reading Psalms 42, not only does the psalmist reveal a state of depression, but also that of loneliness. He states, “For I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me?”  When we are separated from the ones that we love, when our friends turn their back on us, or we receive an evil doctor’s report and feel no one is there for us, we can start to feel lonely. But is there a cure for loneliness? The answer is yes. The writer of Hebrews tells us: “For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” (Hebrews 4:15-16) The apostle Paul enlightens us with these words: “Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (Philippians 4:4-8) If you really want to conquer loneliness, purpose in your life to encourage and inspire others, and it will turn your mourning into dancing and your sorrow into joy. 

Sing: I get joy when I think about, what He’s done for me, I get joy when I think about, what He’s done for me, I get joy when I think about, what He’s done for me, I get joy, joy, joy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment