Saturday, June 10, 2023

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 10 June 2023

Convictions

“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” (Romans 8:1)

Today’s Morsel: I have come to realize that there are basically three types of convictions. A Biblical conviction, which comes from the word of God. A church conviction, which a pastor may establish for the church they pastor. And then a Personal conviction, which a person holds true for themselves. But what I have come also to realize is that some folk’s personal conviction is not a true conviction, but they’re really just a personal preference. You see, a true conviction is something that you will hold on to and not give up nor let it go no matter what. It is something that you are willing to die for. So, if you can be easily persuaded to change your mind, or if you are not willing to die for it, then it's just a preference.  Luke shows us what a true personal conviction looks like through the life of the apostle Paul: “And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus. And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles. And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem. Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus. And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done.” (Acts 21:10-14) It wasn’t a preference, for Paul, it was true conviction. A way of life. As Christians, we must know the difference or others may think that we are hypocrites.

Sing:  Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, sweetest name I know; fills my every longing, keeps me singing as I go. There’s within my heart a melody, Jesus whispers sweet and low, fear not, I am with thee, peace, be still, in all of life’s ebb and flow. Oh yes, it’s Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, sweetest name I know, fills my every longing, keeps me singing as I go.


No comments:

Post a Comment