Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 23 June 2021

 

The Good Shepherd

 

A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.(Psalms 23:1-6)

 

Today’s Morsel:  You know, we used to hear this Psalm a lot in the church when I was young.  But now the only time you seem to hear it is at funerals.  Yes, it is a good Psalm to bring comfort, but why should we wait for funerals to apply it?  When we understand that Jesus is LORD and that David called Him such, you can understand Jesus' question to the religious leaders when He asked them, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The Son of David. He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool? If David then calls him Lord, how is he his son?(Matthew 22:42-45)  Jesus said that He is the good shepherd.  And as the Psalmist said, "For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods… O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker. For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand." (Psalms 95:3,6-7)  Do you know who died for you? It was the Good Shepherd!

 

Sing:  Lead me, Lord, I will follow, lead me, Lord, I will go.  You have called, I will answer.  Lead me, Lord, I will go!

 

Thought For Today: I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.(John 10:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment