Thursday, September 24, 2020

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 24 September 2020

 

The Day Victory Turns Into Mourning

 

And it was told Joab, Behold, the king weepeth and mourneth for Absalom. And the victory that day was turned into mourning unto all the people: for the people heard say that day how the king was grieved for his son. And the people gat them by stealth that day into the city, as people being ashamed steal away when they flee in battle. But the king covered his face, and the king cried with a loud voice, O my son Absalom, O Absalom, my son, my son!(2 Samuel 19:1-4)

 

Today’s Morsel:  On Tuesday, January 28, 1986, the Space Shuttle Challenger broke apart 73 seconds into its flight, killing all seven crew members aboard. Approximately 17 percent of the American population witnessed the launch on live television broadcasts because of the presence of high school teacher Christa McAuliffe, who would have been the first teacher in space.  What was to be a day of victory and excitement turned into a day of disaster and tragedy.  David loved his son Absalom.  Even when Absalom stole the heart of people and tried to steal the kingdom from his father, David gave commands to His leaders to not kill him because he loved him.  But Joab, David’s general, killed him because he saw him as an enemy to the kingdom. When David received word that Absalom was killed, David wept.  He covered his face, and cried with a loud voice, O my son Absalom, O Absalom, my son, my son! And all the people got them by secrecy that day into the city, as people being ashamed steal away when they flee in battle.  What should have been a day of victory, became a day of sadness and mourning.  But on the other hand, over two-thousand years ago, another Son was killed on an Old Rugged Cross, on a hill called Golgotha.  But this day of tragedy turned into a day of victory for all.

 

Sing:  Victory in Jesus, my Savior forever, He sought me, and He brought me with His redeeming blood.  He loved me ere I knew Him and all my love was due to Him.  He plunged me to victory, beneath the cleansing flood.

 

Thought For Today:  Victory is always in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment