Saturday, September 12, 2020

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 12 September 2020

 

The Name

 

“A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.(Psalms 23:1-6)

 

Today’s Mosel:  If you have ever noticed, the 23rd Psalm is probably the most quoted Psalm during times of bereavement and mourning.  What is it about this Psalm that so many turns to?  The main idea in the Psalm and this idea is derived from the fact that God is a shepherd. The meaning is that, as a shepherd, He would make all needful provisions for His flock and demonstrate all proper care for them.  The 23rd Psalm carries with it all the names that God Himself is.  As the Lord said to Moses, I am the LORD: And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.(Exodus 6:1-3)  

He is:

Jehovah-Raah, the Lord my shepherd.

Jehovah- Nissi, the Lord my banner.

Jehovah Jireh, the Lord my provider.

Jehovah- Tsidkenu, The Lord my righteous.

Jehovah-Shammah, The Lord is present.

Jehovah-Elyon, The Lord most high.

Jehovah-Hoseenu, The Lord our maker.

Jehovah-Raphs, The Lord that heals.

Jehovah-M’Kaddesh, The Lord that sanctifies.

Jehovah-Shalom, The Lord our peace.

Jehovah- Saboath, The Lord of Hosts or warfare, or Almighty.

 

No wonder this the 23rd Psalm is chosen for comfort during bereavement and times of mourning.

 

Sing:  Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, there is just something about that name.  Master, Savior, Jesus, like the fragrance after the rain.  Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, let all heaven and earth proclaim, kings and kingdoms shall all pass away, but there is something about that name.

 

Thought For Today:  Don’t ever be upset over what you do not have.  Rejoice over what you do have.

No comments:

Post a Comment