Monday, June 2, 2014

2014 June 2 - Morning Manna

Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery. Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee. (1 Timothy 4:12-16)
 
Today's Morsel: One of the jobs I held in the Army was working in the Department of Evaluation and Standardization at the US. Army Quartermaster Center and School. Our goal was to ensure that all army logistic units; active, reserve, and guard; were training and maintaining the standard according to established army doctrine.  I often wonder why we don't have such a department in the church.  Whether we like it or not, Jesus is going to judge us when He returns based on the doctrine.  If you read Paul's letters to the church, he was adamant about holding to the doctrine.  He told the church at Rome, "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them" (Romans 16:17).  He told Timothy, "As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine" (1 Timothy 1:3); All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine..(2 Timothy 3:16).  He told Titus, "But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine"(Titus 2:1). And, "Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me"(John 7:16).  I think when Jesus comes again, we are going to be judged based on doctrine not denomination.
 
Sing: He leadeth me! He leadeth me! By His Own hand, He leadeth me; His faithful follower I will be, for by His hand He leadeth me.

No comments:

Post a Comment