Thursday, January 28, 2021

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 28 January 2021

 

Commitment

And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me. When she saw that she was stedfastly minded to go with her, then she left speaking unto her. So they two went until they came to Bethlehem. And it came to pass, when they were come to Bethlehem, that all the city was moved about them, and they said, Is this Naomi?(Ruth 1:16-19)

 

Today’s Morsel:  One of the traits of character that I find in Ruth was the trait of commitment.  Not only was she committed to her marriage vows, but she was also committed to her mother in law.  She expressed that commitment by her reply to her mother in law when she said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.”    The apostle Paul asked, “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?(Romans 8:35)  I believe what Paul is saying here  is  show me and others your commitment to Christ by your actions  if you say that you are born again.  Do not just give me lip service my little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth (emphasis mine) 1 John 3:18.  If you really want to see a true Christian, observe them on any day other than Sunday and see if their life is a reflection on what you see on Sunday.  Commitment is revealed under pressure.

 

Sing:  I am determined to hold out to the end.  Jesus is with me on Him I can depend.  For I know I have salvation, for I feel Him in my soul.  I am determined to hold out to the end.

 

Thought For Today: Commitment … being the same under pressure (Parker)

1 comment: