Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 20 January 2021

 

Watching Our Thoughts

 

Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
(Proverbs 4:23)

 

Today’s Morsel:   One of the things about thoughts is that, if we do not guard them, they can get away from us and run wild.  I have heard many people say, “I think I’m going out of or I am losing my mind.”  These types of comments should alert the person to stop and take inventory as to what is going on in their mind.  Writing to the church at Corinth Paul states, For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.(2 Corinthians 10:3-6)  Our thoughts must be kept in check.  Solomon states that we should keep or guard our heart with all diligence.  Why?  Well, Jeremiah informs us, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?(Jeremiah 17:9)  If left to itself, your heart (mind) can destroy you.  Immoral actions do not just get out of hand, they come about because men do not guard their thoughts.  As Lao Tzu states  “Watch your thoughts, they become words; watch your words, they become actions; watch your actions, they become habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny."  It all starts with a thought.

 

Sing:  I’ve got my mind made up to serve the Lord.  I’ve got my mind made up to serve the Lord.  I’ve got my mind made up to serve the Lord.  I’ve got my mind made up to serve the Lord.

 

Thought For Today: “When it comes to character, keep a close watch on yourself” (Parker)

1 comment: