Saturday, October 18, 2014

2014 October 18 - Morning Manna

By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God. (Hebrews 11:8-10)

Today's Morsel:  A few weeks ago, I purposed in my heart to memorize the eleventh chapter of the book Hebrews.  Memorizing the word of God is a hobby that I have taken on for myself to do many years ago.  I really like memorizing scriptures.  Not for showmanship, but to hide the word in my heart that I might not sin against God.  I usually start on a Monday and try to have a chapter or passage memorized by Friday.  But for some reason, Hebrews 11 was a difficult chapter for me to get memorized.  It was not because it was a hard chapter to memorize, but because I kept reflecting on the faith of those who are mentioned in it.  When I came to the part about Abraham, it kept hitting me about his faith.  I felt as though God was asking me in a question, "At what point in Abraham's life do you think he really started to trust Me?"  As I pondered on this, I felt that it was at Isaac's conception.  Scripture says, "Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised"(Hebrews 11:11).  You see when you are 90 and 100 years old and bear seed, you know that it is of God! And Abraham became known as the father of the faithful. Scripture also lets us know, "By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called: Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure" (Hebrews 11:17-19).  You see, when you move to that point of total trust in God, you are willing to give Him your very best.  Even if it's your promised child.

Sing: I trust in God, wherever I may be, upon the land or on the rolling sea, for come what may, from day to day, my heavenly father watches over, over me.

Thought for Today: Faith is just another word for acting on hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment