Monday, March 24, 2014

2014 March 24 - Morning Manna



So went the present over before him: and himself lodged that night in the company. And he rose up that night, and took his two wives, and his two womenservants, and his eleven sons, and passed over the ford Jabbok. And he took them, and sent them over the brook, and sent over that he had. And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him. And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me. And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob. And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there. And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved. And as he passed over Penuel the sun rose upon him, and he halted upon his thigh. Therefore the children of Israel eat not of the sinew which shrank, which is upon the hollow of the thigh, unto this day: because he touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh in the sinew that shrank. (Genesis 32:21-32)
 
Today's Morsel: The story of Jacob has always enthralled me.  From the time his parents send him away from home to preserve his life from his brother Esau, to meeting Rachel, to the tricks his Uncle Laban pull on him with his wives, the changing of his wages ten time, and after all those years, Jacob is still afraid of his brother Esau when God tells him to go home.  What I also like about Jacob's story is his action at the ford of Jabbok.  If you will notice, Jacob is willing to forgo everything in order to obtain assurance from God that He is with him.   And there, on the other side, all alone by himself, he wrestles with a man until the breaking of the day.  Jacob is willing to hold on to God and not let Him go, even though it is painful and hurtful to him.  Jacob has his hip pulled out of joint and he will walk with a limp for the remainder of his life, all to have some assurance and peace of mind from God.  Jacob doesn't complain to God about his hip being pulled out of joint, nor does he ask God to heal him.  He's willing to bear this mark in his life forever.  He just simply says, "For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved."  Many would look at Jacob and ask why he didn't let the man go.  No friend, this wound reveals Jacob's strength.  This wound reveals that he was willing to bear the mark of Christ in his life.  What marks are you willing to bear in your body to show that you have met God face to face and that you know your life has been preserved?
 
Sing:  He gives strength to me, as I worship Him, as my heart, is filled with praise; Jesus breaks the band, as I raise my hands, He gives glorious victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment