Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 28 August 2019


Sons Of Thunder

And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach, And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils: And Simon he surnamed Peter; And James the son of Zebedee, and John the brother of James; and he surnamed them Boanerges, which is, The sons of thunder: And Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Canaanite, And Judas Iscariot, which also betrayed him: and they went into an house.(Mark 3:14-19)

Today’s Morsel:  I often wondered why Jesus seems to change the names of men that He chose?  From a military standpoint, in my infantry platoon, I would give my men nicknames based on their eagerness and zeal in their duty and performance.  And I see this same concept with Jesus.  He called Peter a rock.  Thomas, Didymus which means a double, or twin.  But James and John He called sons of thunder.  Was this because they were now chosen of God and when God spoke and the people heard it, they said it sounded as thunder? You see, when we are chosen of God, we become sons of God.  And when we speak, we speak as the oracles of God.  According to Gills commentary, “This name was chosen either because of their loud and sonorous voice; or their warm zeal for Christ, and fervency in their ministry: or for their courage in opposing the enemies of Christ, and the power that went along with their words; which either put to confusion and silence, or issued in conviction and conversion.”  Have you done any thundering of the gospel lately?

Sing: He speaks and the sound of His voice, it is so sweet the birds hush their singing, and the melody that He gave to me, within my heart is ringing.
And He walks with me, and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own. And the joy we share as we tarry there, None other has ever known.

Thought For Today: Done any thundering lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment