Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2017 October 17

“Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word. Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. I am a stranger in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me. My soul breaketh for the longing that it hath unto thy judgments at all times. Thou hast rebuked the proud that are cursed, which do err from thy commandments. Remove from me reproach and contempt; for I have kept thy testimonies. Princes also did sit and speak against me: but thy servant did meditate in thy statutes. Thy testimonies also are my delight and my counsellors” (Psalms 119:17-24)

Today’s Morsel:  Speed-reading is the concept of improving one’s ability to read quickly.  However, when it comes to the word of God, we should not speed-read or we will miss some of the most important instructions for our life.  Isaiah said, “Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear” (Isaiah 28:9-12).  In Matthew 11: 28-30, Jesus calls for everyone who is labored and heavy laden to come unto Him and He will give them rest.  Paul said that there is a rest for the children of God.  Are you weary and are you tired?  Do you need rest?  Then don’t speed-read through the Bible.  The Lord admonishes through the prophet Jeremiah, “For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water” (Jeremiah 2:13).  A thirsty soul is a sign you’re trying to do it your way.  Slow down and allow God’s word to refresh you.

Sing:  Open the eyes of my heart Lord, Open the eyes of my heart, I want to see You, I want to see You; To see You high and lifted up, shining in the light of Your glory, pour out Your power and love as we sing Holy, Holy, Holy; Holy, Holy, Holy, I want to see You.

Thought For Today: Don’t speed-read God’s word. (Parker)

No comments:

Post a Comment