Monday, January 20, 2014

2014 January 20 - Morning Manna

Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain: And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. (Isaiah 40:4-5)

 Today's Morsel: The march on Washington, D.C. in 1963, with over 200,000 people of all race, creed and color; and the famous "I have a dream" speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, was not to draw some fame and honor unto Dr. King.  It was a call for America to stand up and live out the true meaning of her creed, which says, "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."  It was a call in America and for America, who at the time there were at least 85-90% of all Americans belonging to and attending some church, to heed Jesus Christ's' advice, "to love thy neighbor as thyself",  and to fulfill the golden rule, "Do unto others as you would have them to do unto you."  But, in order of reach that objective, and in order to bring about this bridge of togetherness, there would need to be an approach.  And so I believe that Dr. King chose the nonviolent approach.  He knew that there was already enough hatred and violence in America, and that any approach other than a nonviolent approach would not achieve the civil rights objective;  which was to destroy injustices and segregation. Dr. King often used lines and quotes from the Bible, as well as lines  and quotes from the Constitution and Bill of Rights in his speeches.  He knew that any men or women who were educated with and in the word of God and the laws of this land, and those who had any kind of faith in God, could easily see the injustices and ill treatment being rendered upon people of color in America.  And so he chose the text from the book of the Prophet Isaiah, which says, and I quote, " Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain. And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it" (Isaiah 40:4-5).  I believe when he chose this text Dr. King knew that if the playing field was level for all people, then the crooked, wrong and injustices would correct themselves.   What Dr. King was saying was, if you give everyone the same opportunity:
§  For education
§  For employment
§  For leadership positions
§  For housing
§  And the same opportunity for career progression
 
Opportunity not based it upon a person's skin color, then the nation will be stronger and all people could live together, work together, and play together in harmony and brotherly love.  And when he said, and I quote,  "I look for the day, that my children will be judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character,"  He was saying, "Don't judge a man or woman by their skin color, but judge them for who they are."
ü Judge them based on their moral fiber.
ü Judge them based on their qualifications, and abilities.
ü Judge them on their spirit, strengths, courage, credentials, experience, education, and training.  

But before you can do that, the playing field has to be leveled for everyone. And this will build the bridge of separation between all men and women, boys and girls, regardless of race, creed, color, or national origin and we will fulfill the laws of Christ.  We will love our neighbors as ourselves", and we will, "Do unto others as we would have them to do unto us." 
 
Sing:  1. Way down yonder in the graveyard walk, I thank God I'm free at last. Me and my Jesus going to meet and talk, I thank God I'm free at last. (Chorus)
2. On my knees when the light passed by, I thank God I'm free at last. Tho't my soul would rise and fly, I thank God I'm free at last. (Chorus)
3. Some of these mornings, bright and fair, I thank God I'm free at last. Goin' meet King Jesus in the air, I thank God I'm free at last. (Chorus)
Chorus: Free at last, free at last ,I thank God I'm free at last. Free at last, free at last, I thank God I'm free at last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment