Friday, June 19, 2020

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 19 June 2020


Bury Me with Leah

All these are the twelve tribes of Israel: and this is it that their father spake unto them, and blessed them; every one according to his blessing he blessed them. And he charged them, and said unto them, I am to be gathered unto my people: bury me with my fathers in the cave that is in the field of Ephron the Hittite, In the cave that is in the field of Machpelah, which is before Mamre, in the land of Canaan, which Abraham bought with the field of Ephron the Hittite for a possession of a buryingplace. There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife; there they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife; and there I buried Leah.(Genesis 49:28-31)

Today’s Morsel: Almost twenty years ago, on the island of Okinawa, God gave me a sermon from this passage of scripture with the title, “Bury Me With Leah.”  As I was studying it, I wondered why Jacob wanted to be buried with Leah instead of Rachel that he loved and worked so hard for?  We know that Leah was tender-eyed and in some cases not wanted.  But Jacob buried her with his father and mother, Isaac and Rebekah, and his grandparents, Abraham and Sarah. And he wanted to be buried there as well.  What brought about the change in attitude and heart towards Leah?  I believe that over the years, Jacob realized how compassionate God had been to him, and now he was moved with a heart of compassion for his beloved wife that was hated.  I believe that she represented Christ.  As Isaiah states, “For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.(Isaiah 53:2-3).  I do not know about you, but I want to be buried with Christ, the despised and the rejected.  Remember that beauty is only skin-deep, and true beauty comes from within.  

Sing: He was wounded for our transgressions.  He was bruised for our iniquities.  Surely, He bore all our sorrows, and by His stripes we are healed.

Thought For Today:  Bury me with Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment