Thursday, June 18, 2020

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 18 June 2020


Wrestling with the Unknown

And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him. And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me. And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob. And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there. And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved. And as he passed over Penuel the sun rose upon him, and he halted upon his thigh. Therefore the children of Israel eat not of the sinew which shrank, which is upon the hollow of the thigh, unto this day: because he touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh in the sinew that shrank.(Genesis 32:24-32)

Today’s Morsel: Have you ever had one of those night sleeps that it feels as though you are wrestling with someone and you cannot wake up and get free? Or, you are being chased by someone and just before they capture you, you wake up? Or, one of those where you are falling and just before you hit the ground you awake? Well, consider Jacob. Jacob had a dream of God when he was going to dwell with his uncle Laban, and now he will have a wrestling match with God for his life. Jacob has such a firm grip on the man that even though he is in much pain, he is not about to let him go until he has his answer. When his name is changed, he wants to know the man’s name that he was wrestling with. To which the man replies, why do you want to know my name? The man said to Jacob, I believe, it does not matter what my name is, but what your is. As a good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold. 

Sing: Who am I that You are mindful of me? That You hear me when I call. Is it true that You are thinking of me? How You love me, it’s amazing; I am a friend of God. I am a friend of God. I am a friend of God; He calls me friend.

Thought For Today: Always guard your name … it’s who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment