Thursday, June 11, 2020

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 11 June 2020

Watch
“Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder. And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy. Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me. And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
(Matthew 26:36-41)

Today’s Morsel:  Just prior to He being arrested in the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus took His inner circle to watch for Him while He went to pray.  However, due to their tiredness, they were not able to stay awake and to watch.  When Jesus returned and found them asleep, He chastened them for not being able to stay awake. How does this story speak to us?  We have an enemy of our soul, but if we are not alert and watchful, he will destroy us every time.  False teachers and prophets can get in because we are not watchful.  Our kids can end up watching perversion on their electronic-devices and be led away because we are not watchful.  So, many things can get into our homes when we are not watchful.  Are you watchful?  One of the best ways to stay watchful is to develop a habit of prayer.  When we are prayerful, we will oftentimes be watchful as well.

Sing:  Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer, that calls me from a world of care; and bids me at my Father’s throne, make all my wants and wishes known.


Thought For Today:  Prayer … The alert network   

No comments:

Post a Comment