Wednesday, September 22, 2010

2010 September 22 - Morning Manna

And straightway Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship, and to go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes away. And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone. But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary. And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear. But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid. And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased. Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God (Matthew 14:22-33).


Today's Morsel: Most of us have heard this story of Peter walking on the water. I will give Peter credit for many things. I believe that Jesus chose Peter to be the spokesmen and leader of the New Testament church because he wasn't afraid to try things, even though his life was in danger. Peter is in the storm the same as the other disciples, but when he heard the voice of Jesus saying, "Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid," Peter answered Him and said, "Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water." And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

Notice, Peter said, "If" it be you. He wasn't sure if it was Jesus or not. And so he said, "If" it be you. Peter wanted confirmation before he stepped out of the ship. We all need to make sure that the calling and the voice that we hear is of the Lord before we step out. Peter knew Jesus' voice, because he had spent much time with Him. So when Jesus told him to come, he knew that it was the Lord and that he would be alright because he knew that Jesus would not allow him to sink. Friend, if Jesus tells you to be of good cheer in the storm of your life, be of good cheer, everything is going to be alright. If the doctor has told you that you have cancer, be of good cheer. If you have lost a loved one, be of good cheer. Because if Jesus is with you, you have nothing to fear. Let me encourage you today, before you step out of the ship, make sure you have spent so much time with Jesus so that you are sure of His voice when He speaks to you.

Sing: When He calls me, I will answer. When He calls me, I will hear. When He calls me, I will answer, I'll be somewhere listening for my name.

Chorus: I'll be somewhere listening, I'll be somewhere listening, I'll be somewhere listening for my name. I'll be somewhere listening, I'll be somewhere listening, I'll be somewhere listening for my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment