Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 23 February 2021

 

Don’t Lose Focus For Where You Are Headed!

 

“And Abraham was old, and well stricken in age: and the LORD had blessed Abraham in all things. And Abraham said unto his eldest servant of his house, that ruled over all that he had, Put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh: And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell: But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac. And the servant said unto him, Peradventure the woman will not be willing to follow me unto this land: must I needs bring thy son again unto the land from whence thou camest? And Abraham said unto him, Beware thou that thou bring not my son thither again. The LORD God of heaven, which took me from my father's house, and from the land of my kindred, and which spake unto me, and that sware unto me, saying, Unto thy seed will I give this land; he shall send his angel before thee, and thou shalt take a wife unto my son from thence. And if the woman will not be willing to follow thee, then thou shalt be clear from this my oath: only bring not my son thither again. And the servant put his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and sware to him concerning that matter. And the servant took ten camels of the camels of his master, and departed; for all the goods of his master were in his hand: and he arose, and went to Mesopotamia, unto the city of Nahor. And he made his camels to kneel down without the city by a well of water at the time of the evening, even the time that women go out to draw water. And he said, O LORD God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham.”
 (Genesis 24:1-12)

 

Today’s Morsel:  If you have ever driven on Interstate 95 here in America, about every 20 miles, whether you are heading North or South, you will see billboard signs calling for you to stop at ‘South of the Border.’ Billboards, if we are not careful, can cause us to lose focus of where we are heading.  Some places may be good for stopping, but if we are not careful, we can spend more time than what we had expected at the places and lose our focus of where we were headed.  When Abraham sent his servant to obtain a wife for his son Isaac, when God answered the servant’s prayer by bringing Rebekah to him, he did not want to delay in returning to Canaan with her.  Even though her father tried to delay him, he remains focused on his mission.  He did not lose focus on what he had been sent to do. Paul writing to the church at Colossi states, “If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.” (Colossians 3:1-2)  Do not lose focus on where you are headed.  The devil will do everything in his power to divert your attention and delay you. But you must stay focused and keep pressing toward the mark of the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

 

Sing: Oh, there’s a highway to heaven, none can walk up there but the pure in heart.  Oh, there’s a highway to heaven, walking up the King’s highway!

 

Thought For Today: Stay focused!

1 comment: