Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 29 December 2020

 

The Old Gospel Ship

 

“And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret, And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets. And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.” (Luke 5:1-3)

 

Today’s Morsel:  Simon Peter, who would later become the apostle Peter and spokesperson for the New Testament Church, probably never thought that his boat would be used to teach the gospel from.   It probably never crossed his mind that someone would ask him to use his boat to teach people from.  Especially Jesus.   When I was a missionary to Asia, we had a preaching point on one of our military ships.  It was always exciting each time that ship pulled into port, and I received an email or a call that there were men who wanted to come to church and be baptized in Jesus' name because they had heard the gospel preached by our distinct faith group leader on that ship.  We called the USS Essex the Good Old Gospel Ship.  There is no telling the number of men and women who heard the truth of the gospel preached and taught on that ship.  As the songwriter, G.T. Speer, wrote, “I have good news to bring and that is why I sing, all my joys with you I’ll share; I’m going to take a trip on the Old Gospel Ship and go sailing through the air.  If you are ashamed of me you have no cause to be, For with Christ I am an heir; If too much fault you find you will surely be left behind while I go sail through the air.”   This ship not only sails on water but one day it’s going to take flight and move up a little higher.

 

Sing:  O’ I’m gonna take a trip, on the good Old Gospel Ship, I’m going far beyond the sky; O I’m gonna shout and sing until the heavens ring when I bid this world good-bye.

 

Thought For Today: Except you abide in the ship, you cannot be saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment