Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 15 December 2020

 

The Mouth of the Righteous

 

“A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.” (Proverbs 15:4)

 

Today’s Morsel:  One of the things that I have learned, and that I am trying my very best to do, is to not use words or to say things that cause hurt or tear down others.  I am learning that even in my humor, if not said correctly, my words can cause hurt or offense. Throughout the book of Proverbs, Solomon, who is credited with writing the book, speaks a lot to how we should speak by choosing our words carefully.  He tells us that death and life are in the power of our tongue; that a soft answer turns away wrath; and that the lips of a righteous man feed many.  Just to quote a few of the scriptures.  The Apostle James states that we should be quick to hear and slow to speak.  By doing this, it will help us decide if we need to reply to something or stay quiet.  In today’s passage, Solomon states, “A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.”  Every born-again believer should have a wholesome tongue.  It should be a tongue that heals.  A tongue that encourages and edifies.  A tongue that builds up and not tears down.  But if there is a breach in our spirit, then our words will do the opposite every time.  Remember, Jesus Christ is sound wisdom!

 

Sing:  Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be pleasing to Thee, be pleasing to Thee.  Let the words that I say, be pleasing every day, be pleasing every day, oh God.

 

Thought For Today: Set a guard at my lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment