Thursday, August 27, 2020

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 27 August 2020

Case Closed

 

O Lord GOD, thou hast begun to shew thy servant thy greatness, and thy mighty hand: for what God is there in heaven or in earth, that can do according to thy works, and according to thy might? I pray thee, let me go over, and see the good land that is beyond Jordan, that goodly mountain, and Lebanon. But the LORD was wroth with me for your sakes, and would not hear me: and the LORD said unto me, Let it suffice thee; speak no more unto me of this matter.” (Deuteronomy 3:24-26)

 

Today’s Morsel:  Have you ever seen children trying to butter up their parents after they are wrong and their parents seem to give them the cold shoulder?  The child will sit and pout for a while, and when they think their parents are calmed down, they will try to get close to their parents to get their way.  But most parents will see through their scheme and follow through with the punishment they told the child they would receive.  By all accounts, Moses tried the same thing with God.  God had told him to speak to the rock and that it would give water. But Moses smote the rock with his rod and God became angry with him.  And now, Moses tries to butter God up. He said, “O Lord GOD, thou hast begun to shew thy servant thy greatness, and thy mighty hand: for what God is there in heaven or in earth, that can do according to thy works, and according to thy might? I pray thee, let me go over, and see the good land that is beyond Jordan, that goodly mountain, and Lebanon.”  He may have thought that God had forgotten all about the incident.  But God told Him, “Let it suffice thee; speak no more unto me of this matter.” I believe what God was telling him was, look, I told you once, you were not going in, so do not ask me again.  Solomon says, “Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Though a sinner do evil an hundred times, and his days be prolonged, yet surely I know that it shall be well with them that fear God, which fear before him: But it shall not be well with the wicked, neither shall he prolong his days, which are as a shadow; because he feareth not before God.” (Ecclesiastes 8:11-13)  He said God will not forget what the righteous nor wicked does.  Therefore, the best thing we can do when we fail to do what God tells us to do and it angers Him is repent and let the matter go.

 

Sing:  I know the Lord will make a way for you.  I know the Lord will make a way for you.  If you live a holy life, shun the wrong and do the right.  I know the Lord will make a way for you.

 

Thought For Today:  When God says no, don’t keep asking Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment