Monday, July 2, 2012

2012 July 2 - Morning Manna

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus, To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day; Greatly desiring to see thee, being mindful of thy tears, that I may be filled with joy; When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also. Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:1-7)
Today's Morsel: Paul and Timothy had a special relationship. Timothy came to know Jesus as a result of Paul's ministry. From all indications, Paul knew Timothy's mother and grandmother as well. Paul saw something in Timothy that others may not have seen. As they traveled and ministered together, they become as close as a father and son. As Timothy grew in the Lord, Paul was able to send him forth by himself to minister. Timothy was even chosen by Paul to be the leader of the church at Ephesus ( Acts 1:3). As a young minister, Timothy faced many challenges and problems. Paul wrote this letter to counsel and encourage him. Although the letter is personal in nature, Paul included in it a wealth of advice about how to deal with problems in the church. He told Timothy to stir up the gift that is within him. Paul also tells us what the church should be like. We should have sound spiritual teaching about Jesus Christ, faithful worship, strong leadership, dedication of God's Word, and caring ministries. This is what makes up a true church of God. When we understand Paul's writings to Timothy, then we understand how to stand in adversity.
Sing: I am determined, I've made up my mind, I'll serve the Lord. O' I am determined, I've made up my mind, I'll serve the Lord. I'll pastor wherever You lead me, I'll shepherd wherever You feed me; O' I am determined, I've made up my mind, I'll serve the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment