Saturday, October 12, 2019

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 12 October 2019


Cast your Bread Upon the Water

Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days. Give a portion to seven, and also to eight; for thou knowest not what evil shall be upon the earth.(Ecclesiastes 11:1-2)

Today’s Morsel:  When I first became born-again, my assistant pastor and I became very good friends.  We had this thing where when we were together, if we wanted something to eat or drink, we would see who could be the first to pay for it.  It became a joke between us, and we would sing, "Keep on casting your bread upon the water, for soon it’s going to come back home where it belongs."   When I first went to Vietnam in 1970, one of the first things I noticed was seeing some of the Vietnamese farmers slushing through these water fields sowing seed.  When I enquired as to what they were doing, I was told that these were rice patties, and they were planting rice.  I was told that rice patties needed lots of water to grow.  Jesus said that a sower went forth to sow seed (Luke 8), and that the seed was the word of God and the bread of life (Luke 8:11; John 6:35).  He, The Lord, said through the prophet Isaiah, “For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:10-11)  When we understand that the word of God is the bread of life, we must keep casting it forth.  As the psalmist said, “They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.(Psalms 126:5-6)  Don't stop casting the bread upon the waters.  

Sing:  Keep on casting your bread upon the water, soon it's going to come back home on every wave.  Keep on casting your bread upon the water soon it's going to come back home on every wave.  Good measure pressed down, shaking together, running over, soon it's going to come back home on every wave.

Thought For Today: The more you cast, the more you receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment