Friday, October 22, 2010

2010 October 22 - Morning Manna

And after these things he went forth, and saw a publican, named Levi, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he said unto him, Follow me. And he left all, rose up, and followed him. (Luke 5:27-28)

Today's Morsel:  What was it about Jesus disciples that when He called men to follow Him, they did?  What was it that caused them to just stopped what they were doing and follow Him?  How is that some people can speak and others will follow them and others will not?  I wonder if the disciples were tired of what they were doing and felt that maybe Jesus was getting ready to open a new business, and they would be better off than what they were?  Were they radical in mind and were thinking that Jesus was getting a group together to go against the Romans, and they would have a position in His government?  We can speculate and view this in many ways, but the real question is, are you willing to leave all to follow Him?  Is this what Jesus meant when He said, "Many are called but few are chosen?"  Is it few because many aren't willing, as the disciples, to leave all and follow Jesus?   Jesus holds some very high standards for His followers, and especially those in leadership.  You see, His followers have to be committed to the mission of preaching the gospel.  It's not a part-time mission, or part-time commitment, but it's an all or nothing.  It's a mission of self-less service, duty, loyalty, and commitment.  It's being ready to give the ultimate sacrifice if asked.  When James and John wanted the positions of honor, Jesus asked them are you able to drink the cup that I drink and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?  And they said, we be able.  Many people are being baptized and filled with the Holy Ghost, but few are willing to drink that cup.  The cup was rejection, loneliness, bitterness, persecution, and even death.  If Jesus calls you, and you accept, can you drink the cup?  The Name of the 12 apostles are on the twelve foundations of the city, of the New Jerusalem (Revelation 21:14), because they followed when He called them.  Where will your name appear?

Sing:  When He calls me, I will answer. When He calls me, I will hear.  When He calls me, I will answer; I'll be somewhere listening for my name.
I'll be somewhere listening, I'll be somewhere listening, I'll be somewhere... listening for my name.  I'll be somewhere listening, I'll be somewhere listening, I'll be somewhere listening for my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment